The first photo columns as 3D print have succeeded. 3D photos printed in this way are also called lithophanes. The image of the photo column is only effective in front of a light source. Due to different depths in the material, a black and white image appears when light falls on it. It is also possible to create a colour image by inlaying a colour print on paper. Both old and new photos get a nice look. You can display single photos as well as multiple photos.
Design options for 3D printing of luminous photos
Furthermore, there are many design options:
- Illuminated photos with or without frame
- Frame in different colors
- Photo on a flat surface or as a half cylinder / full cylinder
- Design with a message or text
There are virtually no limits to your ideas.
Influences on 3D printing
Abiola 3D Printing Photo Column
Furthermore, various factors have an influence on the preparation and 3D printing. Firstly, you can choose different shapes for the lithophane. If multiple photos are used, merge them before configuring.
Creating Lithophane Models
Then decide on the one tool to create 3D printing photo models. The following programs, for example, can be used for this purpose.
- This website allows a simple configuration. It is always important to make sure that the controller is set to positive. Link: https://3dp.rocks/lithophane/
- A detailed creation is possible here. You can also print out the colour cards. Link: https://tool.itslitho.com
Create 3D Print Frame
For a photo column, you can create the frame separately in a CAD program. First, the photo models are loaded into the CAD program. After that, you will create shapes with the help of sketches. Finally, you need to cut out the areas where the photo will be placed. Either model a groove or provide for an adhesive surface.
In the following article you will learn how product development works until a prototype is printed.